The old skirt was made with one enormous front piece and one enormous backpiece (each about 1/3 of a circle), so I took it apart and just kept the waistband including the belt holders intact. I used a pattern from Ottobre 4/2012 as a guidance for the new skirt, but I had to make a lot of changes to the pattern to get it the way I wanted. In the process I probably cut off half the fabric used originally.
The original skirt had some nice embroideries which I managed to keep. To keep the project as simple as possible I didn't plan to take the zip out, but then I realised it had to be done as the sides of the skirt was a completely different cut to the new pattern. I also put in pockets and made the back of the skirt out of three pieces instead of one for a better fit.